OUR HISTORY...

The airfield was originally constructed in 1940, as a Relief Landing Ground (RLF) and Satellite to RAF Hemswell. But in May 1942, the airfield formally became RAF Ingham with the arrival of No.300 (Masovian) Polish Sqn. In early Feb 1943, 300 Sqn returned to Hemswell, and were replaced by No.199 Sqn. In June 1943, 199 Sqn departed for RAF Lakenheath, and were replaced by No.300 and No.305 (Ziemia Wielkopolska) Polish Sqn, from RAF Hemswell. The latter only staying until Sep 1943, when they moved to RAF Swanton Morley. No.300 Sqn remained as the sole custodians, until they also moved to RAF Faldingworth in Mar 1944. Whilst at RAF Ingham, all three sqns flew Vickers Wellington Mks III, IV and Xs, conducting both bombing and mine laying missions.
After No.300 Sqn had left, the Station and airfield were occupied by a variety of flying training units, and other ground training roles, including Polish Resettlement Corp. In Nov 1944, the Air Ministry decided to rename the Station, RAF Cammeringham, following prolonged confusion with supplies being sent to the village of Ingham in Suffolk. In 1946, the airfield was closed, and the land handed back to the landowners,for agriculture.

That was until 2003, when Geoff Burton became fascinated by the airfield and its rich history. His passion and research for the site eventually led to him organising an exhibition held in May 2010 at Fillingham Village Hall, to present the site and its potential, to the community. The exhibition received over 200 visitors that day and the interest from the local community proved that RAF Ingham should not be forgotten in history.

Later that year, a group of enthusiastic, local volunteers came together with Geoff to form the RAF Ingham Heritage Group on the 25th Nov 2010, aiming to preserve the memories of those, both Polish and British, who trained and flew from there during the war.

Sponsors

Lindum Group
St.Modwen
ACO Group
AFCCG
SPK

© RAF Ingham Heritage Group 2020. All rights reserved.          Company Registration Number: 07542810          Registered Charity Number: 1142147